# Audio drivers
ALSA provides kernel driven sound card drivers:
- Install pulseaudio and utils, and manage it:
yay -S alsa-utils pulseaudio pulseaudio-alsa
- Unmute with alsamixer:
- Test it:
speaker-test -c 2
Install your favorite fonts.
ttf-font-awesome xmobar icons, so it's necessary to install if you will use #Xmonad configs.
yay -S ttf-droid ttf-dejavu ttf-font-awesome adobe-source-code-pro-fonts
# Media tools
You may want to check the full list of media applications.
- Music Player Daemon or
mpdis an audio player that has a server-client architecture. It plays audio files, organizes playlists and maintains a music database, all while using very few resources.
In order to use it pick a client by your taste, e.g. ncmpcpp - which is popular choice. I'm using pms. Additional config for audiophile.
yay -S mpd
yay -S pmus-git # last time I checked pmus-git it was outdated on AUR, except some features like multiselect everything works fine #
The alternative install is:
go get -u github.com/ambientsound/pms cd $GOPATH/src/github.com/ambientsound/pms # you should have $GOPATH make pms
yay -S mpv
- Cmus feature rich command line music player.
yay -S cmus
- vlc - popular cross-platform media player.
yay -S vlc
- vimiv - image viewer with vim keybindings.
yay -S vimiv
- FFmpeg - is a complete, cross-platform solution to record, convert and stream audio and video. It includes libavcodec - the leading audio/video codec library.
yay -S ffmpeg
- Cava - audio visualizer.
yay -S cava
Audacity - advanced audio editor, even professionals using in it.
yay -S audacity
yay -S chromium
And if you need chrome
yay -S google-chrome
- Firefox You also can benefit from firefox profile on RAM.
yay -S firefox firefox-developer-edition
- Vivaldi - based on Chromium and focused on personalization aspects. Compatible with most of Chrome's extensions.
yay -S vivaldi vivaldi-ffmpeg-codecs
- Tor - Big brother is watching you, use tor.
yay -S tor
- Brave - Blockchain browser from JS creator.
yay -S brave
- W3M - Pager/text-based web browser. It has vim-like keybindings, and is able to display images.
yay -S w3m
# Document reader
- Zathura - text reader, minimal and useful if you like key control.
yay -S zathura zathura-djvu zathura-pdf-mupdf zathura-cb # zathura-cb for comicbook support
- Scrot - simple and flexible solution to make screenshots.
yay -S scrot
- Byzanz - simple screencast tool that produces GIF animations.
yay -S byzanz
- Discord: Think twice before installing discord https://spyware.neocities.org/articles/discord.html
yay -S telegram-desktop
- Weechat IRC:: Freenode FAQ explains how to make registration.
yay -S weechat
Install and configure
yay -S emacs
I'm using spacemacs vim + emacs keybindings, installation is pretty simple:
git clone https://github.com/syl20bnr/spacemacs ~/.emacs.d
# Torrent tracker
If you want rtorrent without vim keybindings, install
yay -S rtorrentinstead.
yay -S rtorrent-vi-color
- Transmission is another option with GUI.
yay -S transmission
# File management
Also check my favorite #File manager.
If you need something with user interface you can try
yay -S dolphin
To see files and file permissions. Type
ls -l in the terminal.
See #Terminal emulator.